Downloading the Installation files
The downloads are available through Service market Place to all the customers.
1. Login to Service Market place https://service.sap.com/support
2. Navigate to Software Downloads->Installation and Upgrades->Browse our Download Catalog
3. Click on SAP Netweaver and complementary products->SAP Netweaver->SAP Netweavr 7.3
4. Click on Installation -> Windows Server->SAP DB
5. As I mentioned I am installing the portal on a 32 bit OS, I have downloaded the files for 32 bit ( also 64 bit is available)
6. Optionally you can also download the Portal add on for (Forums and Wiki), more about installing and configuring these in next blog
7. Download the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files 6 from here
8. After you have downloaded all the files in one folder it will look like
9. Extract the files using WinRar, don’t extract the JCE policy :-), you will have a folder structure like:
Preparing your system for Installation
Configure Microsoft Loop Back Adapter
If you have got a network connection this step is not mandatory, but from my experience I will suggest, use this, it will save you lot of hassles.
Refer to Page6- Page12 of this document, which has got detailed screen shots.
Increase the Virtual Memory
Depends on how much space you have in the Hard disk, but now a days Hard disk space is not an issue (I have moderate 500GB Hard disk space), so I have set it at maximum size (7632MB).
Turn On the 3GB Switch
This is important if you are using 32 bit OS and have 3GB or more RAM. Not required if you are using 64 bit OS or have 2GB RAM
Starting the Installation
It’s difficult to provide the screen shot of all the steps, however I have tried to put the screen shots of important steps.
The one screen shot i missed and might be tricky for someone new to installing SAP WAS, is to locate the SAPCRYPTO.SAR file. You can find it in:
1. Navigate to 51040410_15\DATA_UNITS\NW730_WPL_IM_WIN_I386_ADA and start sapinst.
2. Select Typical Server Installation
3. Fill in the parameters, take help of the attached screen shots wherever required.
Below screen shot shows, the directory where JAVA_J2EE-OSINDEP_UT is located.
5. Screen shot shows the dirctory to locate MaxDB
6. Don’t get nervous if you see this . Just click on No, and installation will continue.
7. Locate the JCE policy as shown
8. Revise the parameters before starting the installation
9. Now you are Good to start with the installation. It takes anywhere between 2-4 hrs depending on the Hardware and the usage type selected, so please be patient.
Starting and Stopping the Server
Accept my congratulations, if you have reached here. You have a local Netweaver 7.3 installation ready to be explored.
You can start or stop your server using SAP Management Console. However if your server doesn’t start after you restart your machine, read below before posting a question.
1. In my case the MAXDB service start type was set as Manual, and hence it was not getting started automatically.
Type Services.msc in your run prompt.
2. Start the Service Manually, and set the startup type as automatic so that in future it gets started automatically
3. Now start the server through SAP Management Console.
Time for some action : Login to the system
Start the browser and login to the system, using ID administrator and the password which you provided during isntallation. Explore the new features of Netweaver 7.3 and share your learnings.
In the next blog of this series I am planning to write about additional installation/configuration (Wiki, Forum) and setting up NWDS for development.